More information about Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria DOP - Cantine San Marzano
The Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria of Cantine San Marzano is one of the very great red wines of Apulia. A racy red from Italy. The Sessantanni Primitivo is vinified from grapes over 60-year-old vines. It delights with opulent fruit and wonderfully spicy nuances. Cinnamon, cedar and vanilla show up.
The Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria from the winery Cantine San Marzano is an unforgettable intense red wine from Italy. It inspires with full body. Deep red in the glass, this red wine impresses with a rich bouquet. Aromas of dried plums, stewed cherries, light tobacco, some anise and ripe wild berries inspire. The Sessantanni is one of our most popular wines. It convinces our customers also by the good ratings.
Production of the Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria
The grapes for this noble red wine come from 60 year old vines. These are rooted in poor, iron oxide rich soils. This explains the name, because Sessantanni stands for "from sixty-year-old".
The consequence is, among other things, a very low yield. These gnarled old vines of the grape variety Primitivo produce in the year only about 3000 kg per hectare of grapes. This naturally reduced yield allows at the same time a particularly high quality and taste of each grape. The Scirocco, which blows from North Africa, characterizes the climate of the Cantine San Marzano wines in southern Italy. It brings dry air that makes it difficult for fungi, insects and rot to attack the vines. This almost makes it possible to cultivate according to biological standards.
About 80% of the must is left on the skins for 18 days under temperature control. The remaining 20% of Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria for 25 days. This leads to an optimal extraction in this wine. The yeasts belong to the winemaker himself. After the Sessantanni Primitivo de Manduria DOP is extracted, it is aged in wood for 12 months. This consists of French and American oak. After that it is bottled.
Tasting of the Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria
The Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria of the Cantine San Marzano is a single-varietal Primitivo. It appears with deep ruby red in the glass.
The nose reveals aromas of prunes and cherry jam. In addition, hints of sweet spices such as cloves, cinnamon and vanilla. On the palate, the Sessantanni is well structured. It tastes full and fleshy, with a great acidity. It has gentle, yet tannins full of character. In the very long finish of this red wine, berry and fruit aromas show again. In addition, spice and tobacco notes come to bear.
The Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria tastes good with these dishes
We recommend the Sessantanni as a solo entertainer. This way it leaves its lasting impression without distractions. Nevertheless, this Primitivo goes wonderfully with braised meat dishes of beef, lamb, wild boar or venison. As well as with noble, bitter chocolate. Enjoy this wine at a temperature of 18° C.
Awards for the Sessantanni Primitivo
- Luca Maroni: 99 points for 2015
- Gambero Rosso: 3 glasses for 2015
- Berlin Wine Trophy: Gold for 2015
- Mundus Vini: Gold for 2013 and 2015
- I Vini di Veronelli: 94 points and 3 stars top rating for 2013.
- Luca Maroni: 97 points for 2013
Facts about the Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria
- From Puglia
- very old vines
- long barrel aging
- low yield
- moderate alcohol content depending on the vintage
- More products from Cantine San Marzano
Things to know about Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria DOP - Cantine San Marzano